The Archives: May 2009 - March 2011

12.02.2010

Writing, it's not that serious


December 2 Writing.
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?

When I first read today's prompt it didn't mean much to me. In fact, my first thought was "Oh boy, day two and I am already uninterested". Then I tried my best to get my mind right and here is what I came up with.

I guess I never really saw "writing" as an important part of my life. When I think of writing, I think of books, essays, news articles, and not necessarily blogs. My blog started as a personal brain dump, not really a thing for other people to read, just a place for me to vent. Now I realize that I am in fact "writing", even if it is just random thoughts and recalling events that happened in my non-impressive life. So, when I thought about my writing in that way, I guess there are things that keep me from writing, but not really so many things that don't contribute to my writing since my writing is about the daily moments of my life.

And to take the things that interfere with typing time, and make them something positive, I will close this post with a list of my favorite ways to procrastinate:
  • rainy days spent in the corner of a warm coffee shop
  • hours of DVR'd Parenthood and The Good Wife episodes
  • cuddle time with a special someone
  • endless amazing documentaries courtesy of Netflix
  • wondering the streets with my new best friend
  • reading other peoples writing efforts via blogspot & wordpress
  • sorting through old journals and photo albums
  • reading the latest pregnancy magazines
  • driving along the coast listening to Erykah Badu
  • and my all time favorite... spending time making lasting memories with loved ones.
After careful review, there isn't one thing I would change. This little text box will be here when I feel the desire to pound the keys, until then I shall continue to live!

3 comments:

annoyed army wife said...

It kind of sounds like living gets in the way of your writing; I don't know if I'd change that if I were you.

Laura said...

I love your post - you are so right, living life to the fullest is better than writing. And if you don't live, what would you write about? p.s. I found your blog from reverb10 on twitter.

elizabeth said...

I feel the same way. to me blogging comes more natural! it's something we want to write about, whereas writing a paper or reading a book is something we have to put thought into. cuddling is always a good way to procrastinate!