The Archives: May 2009 - March 2011

5.03.2010

Do You Celebrate The Things You Have?

I have been blessed with the chance to reach Day 2 of my 50 questions! I am so excited.



Q2: Do you celebrate the things you have?
You know, I am getting a lot better at this. I know that in the past I was all about getting the latest fashions and gadgets, but since losing my job last summer I began to realize what was truly important to me. Once my vision cleared I was amazed to see that I had been blessed with so much in my life. For instance, I am typing this blog sitting on my porch with a tall glass of iced tea. The birds are chirping, the bugs are crawling, and this land is ours, this house that I am in front of is our little slice of the American Dream, but it really is so much more than that. I have a husband that works so hard for us day in and day out, I have a family that is always ready to help out, I have friends that actually love me for me. I love myself. I have never felt so happy, so complete, so grateful before in my life. This past year has helped me mature so much, and the more I grow, the more I love, the more I understand, the more I see how beautiful this life of mine is. Of course there is always a desire for more, but I think I am becoming a better judge of how much more is too much more. Cutting your lifestyle down to the basics of what makes you happy and what you need to survive is so liberating. I feel like I have control over my life, I do not feel like objects and ideas own me anymore.


Here are some things that I have learned/experienced that helped me celebrate the little things in life:
  • First off, come to a realization that all of the "little" things are what make up our life. Focus on living your little moments in a honest and pure way, it will ensure that when you make a pie chart out of your life, the majority of it will be filled with who you truly are under all of the expectations forced upon us.
  • Find something that you love and incorporate it into your daily life. Be an active part of the things that make you who you are. My faith is a big part of who I am, and I get to share that with others by being a catechist.
  • We time is equally as important and Me time.  Spending time with the people that love me, and that I love gives me great memories to reflect on when I am having a tough day. Surround yourself with the people who are irreplaceable in your life.
  • Count your blessings and learn from your mistakes.  Physically make lists of the things that you NEED to be happy in life. You maybe surprised that your list is of things that you already have in your life. WANTS are nice to fulfill, but they are not what keep us moving. The majority of the pain that I have experienced was based off of someone, either myself or the person that hurt me, being selfish and wanting more than they or I need. When we get too much stuff going we don't know how to handle it and ourselves.
  • Accept who you are at this moment in your life. I cannot stress the importance of self-acceptance and self-love. When you believe that you are miserable, it is impossible to celebrate any of the joys that life brings.

3 comments:

LaLa said...

once again always always, always inspiring! <3 I'm so happy you are doing this!

Elizabeth said...

wow, this is amazing. you have so much motivation and inspiration to give. you are an amazing person Jayka :)

Jayka said...

thank you :) you guys are pretty great and keep me going.