The Archives: May 2009 - March 2011

4.26.2010

Word is bond I go on and on

If you know me personally you know the great impact that Hip-Hop has had on me, if you're new to my blog you may not know it, but the culture of Hip-Hop is the third ring of my inner being. The first ring being my faith, second my family, and then Hip-Hop drops in. Last week the Hip-Hop community lost a pretty awesome emcee, Guru of Gang Starr. I haven't had a moment to touch on this yet, but there really isn't much I can say about Guru that you couldn't pick up from listening to his music for a minute.



8 Reasons why I LOVE Hip-Hop:

  1. It is more than a music, it's a whole culture. There is a place for everyone in Hip-Hop, you just have to know your role and respect others in their roles.
  2. There's a lot more to being an emcee than Auto Tune. True lyricist are some of the most clever writers in music. It's not about just rhyming words together, they have such insane metaphors sometimes. There is always something to be learned from a great emcee.
  3. Graffiti art is so important to me. I grew up across a train line and seeing the art on the freights would make my day. Every time I would hear the train whistle and roar I would sit outside and wait for the freights to roll by so that I could look at the art. Sometimes lames ruin it for people with their gang tags, but to see a nice piece roll by is breathtaking.
  4. As Erykah said, "Whenever I got lonely, or needed some advice, He gave me his shoulder, his words were very nice."  It's like that, when I was tripping on whatever was going on in my life my headphones became my escape, and from a young age those headphones housed De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Tupac, Snoop, and Outkast. Hip-Hop music comforts me, it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.
  5. Hip-Hop gave me a voice. Not like I'm going to join the trend and become a rapper, but it gave me the courage to sit with a notepad and write my feelings down. Hip-Hop encourages people to create, to express. Even if some of it is what is giving Hip-Hop a bad name right now, at least these young people are find a way to express themselves.
  6. Hip-Hop DJs know so much about all types of music it is insane. Hip-Hop is one of the only music genres that I know of that can take any different style of music and make it it's own in a way that honors the original composers. Anyone who says a turntable is not an instrument needs to give it a try. It's about a lot more than just spinning a record.
  7. Don't get me started on the skills of a b-boy. This "dance" is amazing. The things people can push their bodies to do is crazy, and the flow of their bodies is pure art. I have much respect for dancers and the wear they put on their bodies, it's all for those moments of freedom in their movements. I love me some b-boys/b-girls. If you haven't watched Freshest Kids, do so once you reach the end of this post.
  8. It gave me my husband. What built our relationship was our common interest in Hip-Hop. Without it I would have never had the opportunity to get to know him. Hip-Hop has brought most of my friends to me in the past. Even in a time where most of the stuff on contemporary music stations is some sort of rap, the Hip-Hop that I grew up on, that Hip-Hop that is in my soul, is not represented to the masses. When I get a chance to meet people who listen to the same artists that I listen to and have loved, it feels like the most amazing connection in the world, sounds lame but it's so true. It's like out of all the things on this planet for you to love, you choose to love Black Star's Respiration, WORD! and those bonds hit deep for me.
With that, Rest in Peace Keith "Guru" Elam, you have made music that has moved me, inspired me, and allowed me to just get down on nights that I needed to hit the dance floor. You join a league of Hip-Hop greats in the stars. Tell Pac I waited seven years for his return, but when he didn't show up I had to move on and Anthony is treating me well. Peace!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

it sounds like it is a big deal. a lot of happiness and good things have come from it. glad you feel that way about it :)

LaLa said...

I'm going to do 8 reason why I love Jayka!! heehee you are too amazing girl I can't wait to meet you in real life!!