The Archives: May 2009 - March 2011

3.07.2010

Defend Equality


I just finished watching the movie Walkout, and I had to run to my blog to tell you all about it. It has been sitting in my Netflix queue for while now, and I finally received it.

The movie is based on the true events of the East Los Angeles Walkouts of 1968, when Chicano Students organized protests against unequal conditions in Los Angeles Unified School District high schools.




This movie was so touching, and it took me back to a time in my youth when my family used to be involved in the Latino Community of Monterey County. If you read my milk post you know about my issues with childhood memories, and this movie reminded me of the wonderful times I spent at Closter Park in Salinas rallying with a bunch of Latinos about the importance of the Latino Vote. We used to attend LULAC events and dances, and I remember seeing one of my favorite singers Little Joe on stage at a rally waving his American and Mexican flags and singing away. My mother is an American born Latina, and my father is an immigrant from Zacatecas, Mexico. I have been taught about my culture and therefore am able to stand proud as a true Mexican-American, Chicana, Latina, Brown Girl. Education, these type of events, and movies like this one, help young Latinos understand their place in our country, and empower us to stand firm in the fight for our basic human rights, and equality.




These walkouts are still inspiring todays Latino Youth. I recall the walkouts & protests in middle school and high school around issues of immigrant's rights, Prop 187, and the unexplained firing of a prominent Latino member of the community. At this time we now have to extend that fight and support and not be afraid to stand up for other groups that are being discriminated against. Right now our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender community needs our support. They are being discriminated against as human beings, and we need to stand up to hate crimes against them, and walk with them towards attaining the right to join their love and families in Marriage.

Please watch this video from last weekend, my cousin Cameron speaks on the vandalism at the LGBT Resource Center at UC Davis. She is so beautiful and so strong, and I would really appreciate if you took time to watch this video.



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

movie looks cool. definitely gonna watch it!