The Archives: May 2009 - March 2011

3.26.2010

The Body Honesty Pledge

Okay guys, sorry once again for the large gaps between posts this month. It seem that I have forgotten how to balance my life. I am now making a strong attempt to get back on track, and I am also going to catch you up on my Self Love project that I have been doing this month.

Day 10:
Body Honesty is about taking a step back and looking at all of this through unbiased eyes. For a second, forget the celebrity images, and even stop comparing yourself to your friends or that girl you see on the bus every morning. Think about your height, your bust, your bum. (Are you naturally tall? Do you have A cups? Is voluptuous a word used to describe you? Are you still shopping in the kids department?)

Be honest with yourself about what nature gave you. Now, take a second to embrace it. Remember that we are all one of a kind.

Ask yourself, are you happy with how you look? It’s okay to answer “yes”. And it’s also okay to have a few things you’d like to improve – as long as they are achievable. Because setting unrealistic fitness goals is just going to see you feeling guilty and like a failure. Stop listening to the demons in your head. Don’t let body angst take over.

Change your focus. Eating well and working out shouldn’t be about losing weight. The No. 1 goal should be making yourself feel great. Benefits like great skin, less stress, more energy and fewer ailments are the focus here. Because you know what? When those all fall into line, then looking great just happens.

Repeat this mantra. “I am going to do things because they are good for me and because they make me feel great. I’m going to stop obsessing about my body. I’m going to start paying attention to myself. I’m going to get real about what my ideal body is. I’m going to make a plan that suits my lifestyle and isn’t a chore that will make me find and keep my ‘happy weight’.”

Make some promises to yourself as part of your Body Honesty pledge: (examples)

Take some time to think about what’s realistic for you.
Aim for at least half an hour a few days a week or every couple of days.
Sign up to a weekly class or sports team for one night’s regular exercise.
Eat half a plate of vegetables (or salad) with each meal.
Make drinking water throughout the day second nature.
Stop smoking!
Find an exercise buddy – a friend, sibling or boyfriend who you can go for walks with and motivate each other.
Spend at least half an hour a day as “me” time. Read a book, schedule a massage, pedi or mani or just take a bath.

So the assignment was to make a plan, make some promises, and apply change.

I am now reporting back, and I will say that my promise was to give myself a little more time to spend doing my favorite things, and to try to mediate more often.

I have started to give myself extra time in the shower just letting the water run over me, not the best for conserving water, but it feels nice. As for the meditating part, that has not been going so well, but I am trying.

1 comment:

LaLa said...

It makes me SOOOOO happy that you went back and did all of these post, you are so amazing and I can't wait to read your final statement, you are beautiful and I'm happy we have met! <333

ps make sure you email me your address!