The Archives: May 2009 - March 2011

2.11.2010

7 things that I love about myself.

Seven things that I love about myself. That is was a simple tag in a blog asks me to share.

I have been holding off on doing this for some strange reason. Maybe I couldn't think of seven things, or maybe I didn't want to think about seven things. Maybe it just kept slipping by unintentionally. I really do not know, but I do know that is has been on my mind for a few days now.

It's hard for me to think of seven things that I love about myself because I have spend so much of my youth hating myself, and picking at all of the things that were wrong with me. I am the type of person that lives to see others achieve. Other people's joy is what brings me joy. I was never concerned about myself.

For a long time it was very difficult for me to believe that I even deserved to smile. When I thought about who I was, I thought about the pain that I had caused, the lies that I had told, the good intentions that I never followed through on, and that is all that I could see.

Early last year I was diagnosed with depression and an anxiety disorder.

Thanks to the medication, a few health exams, great book, and meetings with my therapist I have grown passed that dark place. I have learned to care for myself. I have learned that it isn't my responsibility to save to world. I have learned that even when I fail there is a lesson to be learned and strength to be gained. Most importantly I learned that I would feel overwhelmed again and again in my life, and I gained the tools needed to move past these times.

And today I am FINALLY ready to share with all of you seven gifts that I appreciate in myself, or that I recognized that my life brings.


I love that regardless of all the unexplainable actions in this world, that I can hold strong to my faith. I love how thinking of this power known as GOD makes me feel like anything is possible. I love that a man lived his life for nothing more than to teach acceptance, forgiveness, and most importantly love. Regardless of whether you believe in Jesus as the son of God, it is respectable that a man would commit to the type of life that he lived. I love the feeling of encouragement that comes with believing that a Holy Spirit dwells within me, and can fuel me to do wondrous things with my time on this planet.

I love my heritage and all of my family wherever they my be. I love the traditions that my family holds dear. I love listening to the guitar being played and all of my families voices blending into a musical dream. I love making tamales in an assembly line with my cousins, and hearing stories of when my parents where young. I love to recognize our similarities, and celebrate our differences. I love honoring the ways of the past, and the struggles that were overcome so that we can now enjoy our future.

I love my desire to learn. I love that I am not afraid to admit that I do not have all of the answers. I love that something pushes me to gain knowledge. I love that I value a beautiful mind more that a pretty face.

I love my emotions. I love how I can feel. Really truly feel. I love that I can laugh with others, cry with others. I love that if you punched me in my face I could feel pain, and anger and later forgiveness. I love that if you hugged me I could feel love and joy. I love that my emotions take me on rides to places unimaginable. I love that I do not have a cold heart. I love that I am not cynical. I love that I do not feel the need to impress people with witty sarcastic remarks, but instead chose to tell people how I really feel about them, with words that mean what I mean. I love being one of those people that cries even just watching sweet commercials, it makes me feel alive.

I love that I am easily inspired. It causes problems at time because everything is pulling at my focus, but the feelings that I get to experience are worth it. I love how the smallest actions means the world to me. I love that I can see a child walking down the street and that simple image I will sweep me into a wonderland.

I love that I can celebrate differences in people, in worlds, in ideas. I love that I do not have to seek out the unique things about me to validate myself as an individual, yet that I am able to acknowledge how I differ from others and instead of using it as a way to alienate myself, I can use it as a way to accomplish things I could not accomplish on my own. I love that you don't have to agree with me for me to respect you. I value each person's life and their freedom to live their life as they choose. I love that I see the world as one body, each of us a part with a different role, all working together, and making this thing called LIFE a possibility.

I love that I can love. People, Places, Words, Art. I love the way that it feels to love, I even love the fact that I am able to feel pain from loving so hard. I love that love gives me hope. I love that love gives me strength. I love being loving, and I love to be loved. I love that I can recognize this feeling, and treasure it the way it deserves to be treasured.


I think that this can be a great exercise for anyone when you are ready for it. So I will not tag individuals, but I will ask you to think about it.

What do you love about yourself?

5 comments:

LaLa said...

Truly inspirational! I love how you took this simple task and made it so informative! We share a lot of common thing like I told you before, I'm so glad I found you blog and we have connected, your a beautiful person, this I can tell I look forward to knowing you more!

Elizabeth said...

great post. i love that you can love and you desire to learn. those are great qualities!

Jayka said...

@lala thank you so much. that means the world to me. at times it's hard to just share anything, but i love the friendships that i am gaining through this blog.

and @elizabeth thank you so much for tagging me. writing this post is something i needed to do.

norbyguy said...

Very excellent =] I'll have to try this out sometime.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at www.blogger.com.

Can I use some of the information from your post above if I give a backlink back to your site?

Thanks,
John