The Archives: May 2009 - March 2011

1.15.2010

Mamita has it going on!

So, I was cruising the internet, and headed over to facebook where I was in for shock. Alisa Valdes was posting on her statuses that her books since Dirty Girls Social Club have been "flops" (that was the word she used). I could not believe it.

I own three of her novels, and am planning on purchasing two more. The only reason I don't already own those is because when I found out about them I was already unemployed and had no money in my book fund.

This woman is a fabulous writer, and it is heartbreaking to hear that her books have not done as well as they should have. I must admit that the first book of hers I ran into on accident and only purchased it because I loved the cover, the title was fun, and she was a Latina writing about Latinas. When I first started reading The Dirty Girls Social Club it was a slow week at work and I was getting bored. I packed the book one day and would end up locking myself in my office reading nonstop. One of the guys at my work saw me reading it and commented "Good book huh?". I said "WONDERFUL BOOK" and he told me his wife had read it and wouldn't stop talking about the characters so he read it on a weekend and ended up liking it too!

Since that book, I have really enjoyed reading Playing with Boys & Make Him Look Good. A while back there was rumors of a Dirty Girls Movie, that would be so wonderful, but I never heard anything else about it.

Anyway, like I was saying I was cruising the internet today and I also saw this clip (it's from 2008). Alisa talks about "issues" that came up while shopping the script.



I don't know the current status of this project, but I for one would love to see this movie be made. I could not believe what some of those studio heads had said, and I am just really upset about this. GOSH! I think I'm going to throw something.

In the meantime I encourage you to pick up one of her many books and give her writing a shot. I promise you will find her witty, passionate, and you will feel like you've known her characters all your life.

More about Alisa...


Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez is the bestselling author of several novels. Credited with creating the "Chica Lit" genre in American publishing, Alisa was named one of the 25 Most Influential Hispanics in the United States by Time magazine; Latina magazine named her a Woman of the Year; Entertainment Weekly hailed her as a Breakout Literary Star; and Hispanic Business magazine has twice named her among the 100 Most Influential people in the nation. Alisa is a former staff writer for the Boston Globe and the Los Angeles Times, and holds a master's in journalism from Columbia University. She is a popular public speaker on college campuses, and has taught fiction-writing in the MFA program at the Univ. of New Mexico. Alisa has written cover stories for Glamour and Redbook, and her nonfiction work has appeared in dozens of newspapers and magazines as well as in anthologies that include MAYBE BABY. Once voted the top newspaper essayist in the nation by the American Society of Newspaper Editors, Alisa has seen her novels published in 13 countries. Her new book, DIRTY GIRLS ON TOP, a sequel to her first novel, will be published in July 2008. Alisa lives in Arizona with her husband and son, and works as the managing editor of Latino Perspectives magazine.




View her books on Amazon

You can all learn more about Alisa from her FacebookTwitter pages!

and NO I am not getting anything in return for this, I just love this ladies work!

2 comments:

beeyum said...

She's so pretty, and she looks like she's a good writer.

addicted reader said...

Hi,



I found you on Blogs by Latinas. I am also on Blogs by Latinas.

Would you like to guest post on the new BronzeWord Latino Authors Blog. Minimum 500 words/as long as you need. Topic: your book, your art, your work, words, writing, ambition, being strong and independent thinking, life, home, family, and just about anything else you wish. I reserve the right to evaluate the topic. Thank you



AND



I hope you decide to participate in Blog Brag. Every Saturday I celebrate a blog. Make it yours.

Write an article of 500 words or more/no limit. Answer 3 questions.

What is your blog about?

What motivated you to do this blog?

What do you offer the visitors to your blog?

Send the article to me at my email addy. First come/First Posted.



Thank you for your support and participation.



u r awesome





Jo Ann Hernández

BronzeWord1@yahoo.com

BronzeWord Latino Authors

http://www.authorslatino.com/Blog

BronzeWord Latino Book Tours

http://www.LatinoBookTours.com